9/26/10

R & R Star's Aches & Pains




Eddie Van Halen, 55
Bone spur, twisted tendon, and cyst in hand

HOW IS HE DOING?
Van Halen had surgery to alleviate pain in his thumb and pinky that was so bad, he says, "I wasn't able to play at all." Now he'll hopefully have no problem playing "Jump" should Van Halen get it together to tour again.




U2's Bono, 50
Spinal injuries from accident during rehearsal

HOW IS HE DOING?
Back surgery derailed Bono's U.S. tour earlier this year. "There's a lot bigger problems out there than this one I was facing," says the singer, who is now back to performing. "But I came out of it perfect--I'm incredibly grateful."





The E Street Band's Clarence Clemons, 68, and Nils Lofgren, 59
Clemons: Bad knees Lofgren: Failing hips

HOW ARE THEY DOING?
Both had replacement surgeries in 2008 in the same New York hospital at the same time. Clemons says he needed two ice bags, two knee braces, and a golf cart to get to the stage. Lofgren says he now feels better than he's felt in five years.






Phil Collins, 59
Nerve damage that left him unable to hold drumsticks

HOW IS HE DOING?
After surgery, Collins played drums on his new album by gaffer-taping the sticks to his hands. "I can't feel the ends of my fingers, but luckily for me, drumming on classic soul is light."






Aerosmith's Joe Perry, 60
Bum knee from old stage accident

HOW IS HE DOING?
Perry had knee-replacement surgery two years ago. "Skiing and riding my motorcycle" also helped wear out the joint, the rocker says. After an infection led to a second surgery, he finally got back in the studio.






Poison's Bret Michaels, 47
Brain hemorrhage, mini-stroke, diabetes

HOW IS HE DOING?
Following the brain hemorrhage in April, Michaels spent nine days in intensive care. "I was given a second chance," he says. "There's so much more I want to do." He's now back on the road.







KISS' Paul Stanley, 58
Worn-out hips from years of stage antics

HOW IS HE DOING?
Stanley has had two hip-replacement surgeries. "If it wasn't the platform shoes, it was years of doing kicks--it just wears out your hips," he says. "Now I'm basically good for another 50,000 miles."